JALISCO COVID-19 FAQ
Updated January 11, 2022
Q: Can international travelers visit Mexico now?
Yes, travelers are permitted to fly to and from Mexico for tourism purposes. There are no restrictions for travelers visiting Mexico via ground or air. Note that all travelers entering the United States must show a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken no more tan one day prior to travel.
Q: Are any quarantine requirements in place for international travelers visiting Mexico?
There are currently no quarantine requirements in place for inbound travelers. Travelers exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms may be subject to additional health screenings and/or a 14-day quarantine.
Many hotels require temperature checks upon arrival. If a guest has a high temperature, check-in will be suspended and the guest will be referred to the hotel’s doctor who will notify the government COVID call center.
If a hotel guest presents COVID-19 symptoms during his/her stay, the guest will be immediately referred to the hotel doctor who will notify the local government health officials. The guest will be placed in an isolation room until the arrival of health officials who will accompany the guest for testing and treatment (if necessary).
Each hotel applies different policies for mandatory quarantines, with some offering steeply discounted rates. Specifics should be confirmed with individual hotels directly.
Q: Where are PCR and antigen tests in Jalisco available?
It is recommended to schedule a COVID-19 test as far in advance as possible by contacting one of the providers listed here. Any additional requirements, costs, and the current status of same day results should also be confirmed directly with the testing provider. A selection of hotels throughout Puerto Vallarta are providing free COVID-19 antigen tests for guests which are valid for entry to the United States. Additionally, selection of Puerto Vallarta hotels will offer both PCR tests and antigen tests for a cost. A list of participating hotels can be found here underneath “Puerto Vallarta COVID-19 Testing Providers.”
Q: What activities require a COVID-19 vaccination certificate or negative PCR test?
COVID-19 vaccination certificate or negative PCR test, printed or digital (with a validity of 48 hours), will be required to enter:
- Bars and nightclubs
- Stadiums (maximum capacity of 60%)
- Convention centers
- Event halls
- Large-scale events
Q: What steps has Jalisco taken to create a safe environment for international visitors?
The state of Jalisco received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s “Safe Travel Global Safety & Hygiene Stamp” on June 14, 2020 for applying globally standardized hygiene and sanitation standards at its facilities. Jalisco is also one of the leading states in Mexico for its own federally recognized COVID-19 testing and reporting system. And, it’s one of the few states with its own system for epidemiological testing.
Q: What requirements are in place regarding face coverings and social distancing?
All residents and visitors are encouraged to maintain social distancing practices and wash their hands often with soap and water. The use of masks is mandatory in public spaces.
Q: What restrictions are currently in place for Jalisco’s tourism industry?
Jalisco is one of 29 Mexico states designated “green” by the federal government, meaning all economic and social activities are permitted while taking appropriate precautions. This is part of Mexico’s color code system: green, yellow, orange and red where each color identifies what activities are safe to resume and/or what restrictions are in place on a state-by-state basis.
Hotels are permitted to operate at a maximum capacity of 100%, with common areas at 80% capacity. Restaurants (including hotel restaurants) will operate at 90% capacity.
Golf courses, beach clubs, and tours will operate during regular business hours. All hotels are required to follow cleanliness and sanitation protocols established and monitored by local authorities, in addition to protocols required by their parent company or ownership.
Q: What can be expected upon arrival at Puerto Vallarta International Airport and Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Guadalajara International Airport?
COVID-19 protocol for international airports in Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta is as follows:
- Masks are required.
- Disinfectant is applied on welcome mats at entrances to the terminals.
- Social distancing of at least 5 feet is encouraged in lines of documentation, inspection point, migration, customs, baggage claim, boarding, and disembarking, among other processes.
- Antibacterial gel dispensers are available throughout terminal buildings.
- Authorities, airlines, handling agents and commercial operators use gloves and face masks in processes that involve contact with passengers.
- All restaurant and food court personnel must wear disposable face masks and gloves.
- All passengers are required to fill out a form titled “Questionnaire of Identification of Risk Factors in Travelers” available on-site via QR code or in hard copy.
Q: What can be expected upon arrival at a hotel or resort?
Jalisco state government has established COVID-19 protocol which consists of sanitary recommendations and good practices that promote a healthy and hygienic environment. The state recommends that hotels engage in the following activities:
- Establish stations at the main entrance for a temperature check prior to check-in
- Place antibacterial gel on access doors
- Avoid crowding of guests inside the hotel in common areas and maintain social distancing during check-in
- Use chemical products for proper disinfection of the rooms and common areas, as well as steam cleaning systems with chlorine or UV lamps
- Emphasize the disinfection of spaces such as lobby, corridors, common areas and disinfection in
- Reinforce the cleaning of places such as elevators, gyms, pools and spas
Hotels of international chains enhance the protocols established by the Jalisco Government with their own corporate protocols.